Friday, May 2, 2008

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) G - 4 Stars

Not taking anything away from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but I think I liked this original from 1971 just a tad bit better. Perhaps it's because with new version I knew what to expect so I was prepared for these children to be brats and get into trouble. Plus I've always loved Gene Wilder and he was great as usual in this movie.

Charlie (Peter Ostrum) and Grandpa Joe (Jack Albertson) dream about finding the one of the lucky golden winning wrappers in Willy Wonka's contest. When Charlie finds the last of the five wrappers, he and grandpa are lucky enough to get a peek behind closed doors. The children see magical chocolate fountains and all the goodies their eyes and stomachs can handle. But when the other children become greedy, Augustus (Michael Bollner), Violet (Denise Nickerson), Veruca (Julie Dawn Cole), Mike (Paris Themmen), Charlie will become the chosen one.

Paramount Pictures
Director: Mel Stuart
Writer: Roald Dahl
Producers: Stan Margulies, David L. Wolper
I viewed 11/74

No comments: