Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Ruins (2008) R - 3 Stars

I thought the cover looked scary and even though I don't enjoy freaking myself out watching a movie, I decided to give it a try. However, I didn't think the movie was really scary at all. Creepy maybe. 4 young adults are on vacation in the Yucatan, mainly Cancun, when they meet a German guy who is going to go explore some ruins before he goes back home. The Americans decide to add a little adventure to their last day in paradise.

Jeff (Jonathan Tucker), Stacy (Laura Ramsey), Amy (Jena Malone), and Eric (Shawn Ashmore) and 4 Americans have the time of their lives in Cancun. They meet a German tourist by the name of Mathias (Joe Anderson) who is trying to find his brother Dimitri (Dimitri Baveas) who has been exploring ruins in the Yucatan with his girlfriend. Mathias invites the 4 to join him in the adventure of a life time.

No one wants to take the kids to the ruins as they have beliefs you do not disturb an ancient spiritual sight. However, they find a willing driving to take them most of the way in. From there they get a jeep and drive in them selves. But, they are soon not alone when the local natives are not happy with the intruders disturbing their holy grounds. Once the group is on the ruin, they will not let them leave fearing contamination with the evil spirits. With no way to call anyone to their defense, the group must find a way off the temple or have eternal life there.

Paramount Pictures
Director: Carter B. Smith
Writer: Scott B. Smith
Producers: Stuart Cornfeld, Jeremy Kramer, Ben Stiller
I viewed 7/08

2 comments:

Matthias said...

Hi,
As a fellow film critic, I commend you for all of your efforts in reviewing films. However, I would just like to suggest a few things about how you write, and the films you review. In your reviews, you use the personal pronoun "I" too much. Criticism is the attempt at objective inspection at a film, and "I" should only be used when your personal response to a particular film is so strong that "I" is warranted. Furthermore on your writing, it would be good if you listed not only just the cast, but the writers, producers, and directors at a minimum, and then perhaps the cinematographers and editors (when their work stands out).
Also, more foreign films would be appreciated. I did a search on your review for films made by Akira Kurosawa, and found none! Such was also true for Ingmar Bergman's work. You would do a great service to your reading audience to expose them to the great masters (two of whom I just listed).
Thanks for reading my criticism, and I hope that you employ some of my suggestions.

Visual Candy-Moms Dream Vintage Finds said...

Hi Matthias...

I do appreciate and value your comments and would just like to explain a little more about what my blog is about. I am NOT a film critic nor a writer... I'm just a girl who likes to watch a lot of different types of movies. I have about 250 still hand writen out that I have not yet had the time to post as it seems lately I am just posting the recent movies I am watching. (A full time job in itself! hahaha). I started my blog because my friends had asked "hey what movies do you recommend I rent from Block Buster?" And I would share my personal opionions with them. There are a LOT of movies out there the average person may never give the opportunity of watching.

I had never heard of a blog but I was thinking hey there must be some sort of a web page I could create to catagory the movies I have watched (for my own records) while being able to have my friends see it too..... and my blog was born. My goal is not to be the next Siskel and Ebert but just me... a girl from Glendale giving my honest opinion of what I thought about the movie, with a small dialog of the movie and things like I LOVED IT or don't waste your time. Thus the "I" as it's pretty much about what "I" thought/think of it. I've noticed that when I have read the reviews from film critics, they all sound so stuffed shirt and sometimes I don't even understand what they were trying to say. I tried to write my reviews in plain simple terms that just get to the point. I didn't realize there were so many moview review sites out there and I am just one on the list.

I then decided that hey why not get more people to look at it too and maybe it would help them as well. I do agree that now as I have almost 410 posts on line, I should have mentioned the director, producer and/or writer for people who search that way. And perhaps I will go back and add to the movies I have posted. I can't make it a "label" as my list is huge in that area now so perhaps just mention towards the bottom and it would still appear in a search.

Thank you so much for your comments. i do really appreciate them a lot!!! which site is yours and perhaps I can have a peek at what you do???

Thanks!!!

Zola