Friday, December 5, 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) PG - 4½ Stars

I once sold a old comic book of Hellboy on Ebay back in 1995 and I couldn't believe the fight two bidders had over it. Now after seeing the movie, I know why as I loved this movie. I'm giving it a 4½ Stars for the costume design, special effects, action and strange characters alone. It's one of those movies that's fun and has everything - action, adventure, fantasy, and even romance. The scenes are fantastically rich in detail and, at least for me, make up for the story line that sometime lags a bit.

The characters took me back to the time of watching the bar scene in the first Star Wars movie. I loved the troll city in Hellboy, which reminded me of this Star Wars bar. Great one liners, action and entertainment for the entire family, with older children as the violence and characters might give the younger ones nightmares. Having never read the comic, I can't comment on if it's true to it's that story line so maybe I will have to see the first Hellboy now.

An ancient truce existing between the invisible realm of the underworld and humankind, and it's about to be broken. Defying his father and his kingdom, Prince Nuada (Luke Goss) wants to rule over those who are not excepted by mankind, killing off the species. He has plans to awaken a great Golden Army. Problem is, the army is asleep and can only be awoken with the proper pieces of a puzzle to his crown. But Hellboy (Ron Perlman) is not going to sit back quietly and let him do that. He may be large, red and horned, but deep down inside he just wants to do good and be excepted by his fellow man.

Hellboy, along with others from the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense, like his pyro "babe" Liz Sherman (Selma Blair), and his fishy friend Abe Sapien (Doug Jones), band together to seek out Prince Nuada and settle the score once and for all.

Universal Pictures
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Writers: Guillermo del Toro, Mike Mignola
Producers: Lloyd Levin, Mike Richardson, Lawrence Gordon
I viewed 11/08

No comments: