Monday, March 4, 2013

Whiteout (2009) R - 3 Stars

I have mixed emotions about this movie. It wasn't a great movie at all but something kept me drawn and somewhat nearing the edge on my seat a few times. Maybe it was just a good job of feeling the freezing blizzard or perhaps the uncertainty of a killer on the loose, hacking his way through what's left of the crew. But that's when it also got a little cheesy to me as this killer was really a bad shot. I think I counted at least 12 hacks toward Marshall Stetko, while never striking her once. If nothing else, it gives a pretty realistic feel to what it must be like to live and work at the North or South Pole.

U.S. Marshall Carrie Stetko (Kate Beckinsale), has been reassigned a position at Antarctica's South Pole research base after her partner turned on her and she had to shoot to kill. The betraying images still haunt her nightly so she prefers this solitude of misdemeanor crimes rather than deal with who she can trust. When a body is discovered on the snow away from base, her investigative instincts quickly return as it's apparent the man was murdered.

Dark Castle Entertainment, Warner Bros. Pictures Distribution
Director: Dominic Sena
Writers: Jon Hoeber, Chad Hayes, Erich Hoeber
Producers: Susan Downey, Joel Silver, David Gambino
I viewed 2/10

No comments: