Monday, September 1, 2008

Bowling For Columbine (2002) R - 3 Stars

I know, I know the movie is old and I should have seen it by now, BUT, I'm just getting to it. I've been getting into Michael Moore more and more (get it) and though I like his documentaries a lot, I didn't find this one as interesting as most I've seen. I get the idea of what he was trying to find out. What makes two American teens wake up one morning, go bowling and then go to school and kill 11 fellow students as well as themselves. Moore tries to show the comparisons of what makes Americans so violent versus the rest of the world. I did like his interview with the late, Charleston Heston. When put on the spot asking him why he would show up to these cities after a tragedy involving guns to protect guns is beyond me. Even Michael Moore grew up in Flint, Michigan and a member of the NRA but still doesn't understand that. I did find it quite fascinating to learn that here in America we have over 11,000 killings by gun each year and our numbers are so staggering compared to other parts of the world like Japan with only 11. Why do we want to kill each other? Teens, in other parts of the world, watch the same movies, play the same video games for fun and entertainment and some dress more extreme than the teens here in America. However, what they don't share with us Americans is the violence. And we still don't know the answer to that one.

The movie won many awards including:
2002 - Bowling For Columbine - Academy - Best Documentary Feature.

MGM Distribution
Director: Michael Moore
Writer: Michael Moore
Producers: Michael Moore, Kathleen Glynn, Michael Donovan
I viewed 8/08

No comments: