Monday, October 13, 2008

Youth Without Youth (2007) - 1½ Stars

You know I was getting into this movie at first but it started getting confusing and then boring to me. Confusing because I was pretty much lost over the relationship between Dominic and Veronica and her accident that left her chanting other languages. Boring because I completely lost attachment for the characters and just wanted the movie to be over with. Sadly, I turned it off just before the end because I didn't want be confused anymore.

Dominic Matei (Tim Roth) is a 70 year old man who is has lost his wife and fears he will not finish his life's work before he dies. One day while he was out, he was struck by lightning and burned badly. What should have killed him, instead reverses the signs of time on his body and makes his mind mentally sharp as a tack, until he regresses into the body of a 40 year old. He can learn new languages in his sleep and merely glance at a book cover to uncover the knowledge inside. But with WWII lurking in the background, Dominic is wanted by everyone including the Nazis to observe his remarkable survival. When he meets Veronica (Alexandra Maria Lara), who reminds him so much of his dead wife Laura, that's where I had to draw the line on the movie. What started out as a romance, turned to a strange obsession of insanity that I found more irritating than compassion for the characters.

Sony Pictures Classics
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writer: Francis Ford Coppola
Producer: Francis Ford Coppola
I viewed 10/08

No comments: