Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) R - 3½ Stars

The campaign ad for this movie really put me off to seeing it. The "I want Sarah Marshall Dead" and I hate Sarah Marshall" ads just really bugged me and left me no desire to see the movie. Even as I rented it, I did so with the "Oh What the Heck," let's give it a try attitude. Wow, I was surprisingly delighted to see it was such a good movie. All of it, the acting, the casting, the lines, they all fit together in this wonderfully delighting relationship movie. I'm very close to rating it 4 Stars.

Peter Bretter (Jason Segel) and Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell), have been dating for almost six years until one day Sarah comes home and tells Peter she wants out of the relationship. Sarah, the hot sexy star of a current television show, has been secretly seeing a rock star Aldous (Russell Brand), and the two are on their way to Hawaii for vacation.

Peter is having a very hard time letting go of Sarah and with the encouragement of his best friend, he goes out on the town with him only to be disappointed and thinking only of her. While Peter's life is suddenly put on hold, it's suggested for him to get away and take some time to clear his head. Peter sets off for Hawaii only to find his ex and her new boy have also checked in at the same hotel. Since the hotel is booked solid, Rachel (Mila Kunis) working the front desk, sees the dilemma Peter is in and quickly checks him into the pent house suite in order to save face.

As Rachel and Peter become friends, she takes a liking to his sweet nature and before you know it, the two become close allowing Peter to finally feel positive good feelings again. But it's hard to ignore Sarah when he is sleeping on the other side of the wall her and Aldous are having sex at.

Tensions mount, emotions rise, words are flung until everyone is leaving in different directions. But true love prevails and Peter will get the girl of his dreams in the end.

Universal Pictures
Director: Nick Stoller
Writers: Jason Segel, Judd Apatow
Producers: Shauna Robertson, Judd Apatow
I viewed 2/09

1 comment:

Susan Blake said...

I was going to skip this one too for the same reasons! Thanks for a great review - its on my list!
suZen