Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Southern Comfort (2001) NR - 4 Stars

I'm really big on documentaries that explore and enlighten me to situations I wouldn't really think about. This tragic story, laced with empathy and compassion, touches gently into the world of trans sexuality. Despite your opinion of it's right or wrongness, Southern Comfort offers an inside peek into a handful of close knit friends who excel in unconditional love, acceptance, and support. I think what I love most about this movie is it takes place on a secluded farm in Toaccoa, Georgia and not on the streets of West Hollywood. For the average person, it may be hard to look at transsexuals with anything other than contempt. I think most of my circle of friends would have no desire to see this film putting labeling into a freak category. But this movie is full of compassion, love and acceptance and I really felt for Robert's story.

Take a small but sad journey into one man's life who's dying of ovarian cancer due to his body being female. For him, the intimacy he shares with other transsexuals touches far beyond the bond some have shared with their genetic families.

Robert Eads (female to male) has one final wish, to have the strength to attend and speak at the annual Southern Comfort conference, to support and show love for small circle of friends in the transsexual community. He meets and falls in love with Lola Cola, (male to female), being a Zola I must say I do love her name, and along with some of their closest friends like Maxwell Scott Anderson, they open up a small portion of their constant struggles of acceptance living as transgendered.

Awards Include:
2000 - Sundance Film Festival - Documentary Grand Jury Prize


HBO Documentary Films, Q-Ball Productions
Director: Kate Davis
Producers: Kate Davis, Elizabeth Adams
I viewed 4/10

No comments: