Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride: Hunter S. Thompson on Film (2006) NR - 2 Stars

Being the movie lover that I am, I felt in appropriate to educate myself more about key players in the industry. You're only going to enjoy this documentary, on the life of Hunter S. Thompson, if you're interested in learning more about the man behind the "Gonzo" journalism style. Gonzo style roughly involves the reporter writing himself as a central figure into whatever he's reporting on.

With touching tributes from Thompson's good friends like, Johnny Depp and Sean Penn, taken after his death, I felt the love they had for him from other's in the industry but I don't feel like I learned much more about him like what made him so anti establishment. Instead, I found the film a bit on the boring side more like a tribute than an insight. An old sounding Nick Nolte narrates while Tom Thurman directs. "Buy the ticket, take the ride," was also how Thompson lived by. He believed when you start something, you finish it no matter where the journey takes you and staying true to your course.

Thompson was a strange bird and his quirkiness will be etched into the archival pages of journalism for ever. When I first saw his film, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," I thought it was about one of the most bizarre films I'd ever seen. Bill Murray perfectly captures Thompson down to the fact he doesn't move his mouth or lips when speaking making it hard to listen to his dialogue. For me, closed captions is the only way to go if you want to understand what he has to say. I've added "Buffalo Roam" to my list of movies to rent, more out of curiosity. I have another film at home to view, "Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson," so stayed tuned for that review soon.


Starz Original
Director: Tom Thurman
Writer: Tom Marksbury
Producers: Christopher Black, Tom Thurman
I viewed 4/10

No comments: