Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Invictus (2009) PG13 - 4 Stars

Morgan Freeman is wonderful in his portrayal President Mandela. Such a soft spoken President, yet a true leader of his people.Invictus, from Latin, (unvanquished) is a poem written by William Ernest Henley as he lay in bed after having one leg amputated in 1875.

Nelson Mandela, (Morgan Freeman), drew from these words as he spent 27 years prisoned in his fight against apartheid. Just at the close of apartheid in South Africa, he was elected president spending his first term as president of the country. The first thing he knew he must do as president to unite the country was to forgive the oppressors he was so against. Tension and mistrust now divided the country by race and poverty level. Mandela's main objective was to unite both the blacks and whites through the universal language of their sport, Rugby.

With under a year to go till the 1995 Rugby Word Championships, Mandela brings courage and strength to a already defeated "Springboks" rugby team. He empowers team captain of the "Springboks", Jacobus Francois Pienaar, (Matt Damon), into believing in himself and turning the team around to win the 1995 Rugby World Championship for South Africa.

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.


Awards include:
2009 - National Board of Review - Freedom of Expression Award
2009 - National Board of Review - Best Director
2009 - National Board of Review - Best Actor

Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Clint Eastwood
Writer: Tony Peckham
Producers: Lori McCreary, Robert Lorenz, Clint Eastwood
I viewed 12/10

No comments: