Tuesday, March 15, 2011

In the Loop (2008) NR - 2 Stars

I have to say that most of this movie bored me. Could have something to do with it's all about politics which is something I often disagree with and I didn't think the punch lines were all that funny but more foul mouthed and unrealistic. It was hard for me to stay with the dialect with heavy British accents through most of it as I guess most of the humor is above my head. Do people really talk like this? I was surprised to see James Gandolfini in this playing a US general as I always love him in a movie.

British Secretary of State for International Development, Simon Foster (Tom Hollander), casually tells a reporter "war is unforeseeable." Later in a statement he says, "to walk the road of peace, sometimes we need to be ready to climb the mountain of conflict". Judy (Gina McKee), personal Director of Communications, now tries help control the situation along with British Communications Director, and a nasty mouthed Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi). Damage control expert Toby (Chris Addison), comes into play as US Assistant Secretary for Diplomacy Karen Clarke (Mimi Kennedy), and US Lieutenant General George Miller are up against State Department US Assistant Secretary for Policy, Linton Barwick (David Rasche). They fake meetings, and leak information all in manoeuvring the vote between nations.

Awards include:
2009 - National Board of Review - Best Independent Film
2009 - New York Film Critics Circle - Best Screenplay


IFC Films
Director: Armando Iannucci
Writers: Simon Blackwell, Tony Roche, Jesse Armstrong
Producers: Adam Tandy, Kevin Loader
I viewed 12/10

No comments: