Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sex and the City 2 (2010) R - 2½ Stars

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for girl power and everything, but please no more sequels in this series. I've always been addicted to Sex in the City series and when the 1st movie was out, I had to see it. At least this time, I didn't have to pay anything cause I'm sorry to say, the girls have grown up and the freshness is gone. Yes Keri still makes the point about relationships that sometimes you have to step away from your situation to really see how good you have it. I know the movie is just for fun but seriously folks, the girls are going to the Middle East to be treated like royalty and bring girl power to there? Singing "I am Woman" up on stage well that's just seemed absurd and so far fetched and forced. There are a few funny parts and I guess I liked that Samantha is the reason the girls must flee their stay early. Though, I have to say, it couldn't hurt putting a couple bowling alleys, pool tables or night club in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran etc. I think it may get people to loosen up and have some fun instead of always thinking about war and revenge. Okay back to the movie, I enjoyed the second half more feeling a closer connection with the old series as Keri discovers what's really important in her live. For a free rental, I don't feel so badly wasting my time.

Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker), Charlotte (Kristin Davis), Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) and Samantha (Kim Cattrall) still make a point of getting in touch with each other even though their lives have taken different directions. Carrie is married to the love of her life, "Big" (Chris Noth), Charlotte is still married to Harry (Evan Handler), and her second child is in her terrible twos, Miranda is still married with a young son and Samantha is still playing the fields happily unmarried. But a prince from the middle East mistakes her for a woman of class and invites her and the girls for a vacation of their lives to the Middle East. With Carrie feeling sort of like an old married couple, and Charlotte and Miranda in desperate need of a break, they gladly accept Samantha's invitation. From the moment they arrive they're treated like royalty, with little cares in the world. The become so comfortable in their surroundings they get on stage and belt out a version of "I am Woman." But leave it to Samantha to take it too far in a world condemning the sight of a woman's face in public. Before you know it, the girls are on the run to get out of the country if only to return to their traditional luxurious roles.


Village Roadshow Pictures Entertainment, HBO Network- Home Box Office, New Line Cinema Director: Michael Patrick King
Writer: Michael Patrick King
Producers: Michael Patrick King, Sarah Jessica Parker, John Melfi
I viewed 10/11

No comments: