Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lords of Dogtown (2005) PG13 - 3 Stars

In the late 60's I had a skateboard and my sister and I would race down the biggest hills on my street. Though we both got plenty of scraps and cuts along the way learning how to master the board, our skills and techniques with our rubber wheels were never closely mastered like that of the Lords Of Dog Town.

In the early 1970's a part of Venice California was known as "Dog Town". Tony Alva (Victor Rasuk), Stacy Peralta (John Robinson), and Jay Adams (Emile Hirsch) were three guys who hung out at the Zephyr Surf Shop. Mainly their hobby was surfing the waves of Venice Beach until one day Skip Engblom (Heath Ledger) the owner of the Zephyr store started stocking the new urethane wheels. These young boys found a way to take their maneuvers of surfing to the streets. Any smooth surface would do and they began to seek out empty swimming pools to take skateboarding to a whole new level. This is the true story based on these three young boys lives who would change the nation on how to skate board. Tricks my sister and I would have never dared to try on our boards.

Sony Pictures Releasing
Director: Catherine Hardwicke
Writer: Stacy Peralta
Producer: John Linson
I viewed 12/06

No comments: