Saturday, April 26, 2008

Nacho Libre (2006) PG - 3½ Stars

Jack Black is another one of my favorite actors. I know the critics didn't give this movie great reviews, but I liked it. I did see it on the big screen with a group of half my age girls I work with so maybe that added to the pleasure too. But all and all, I think it was a cute movie, had a cute story line and what's not to like.

Ignacio, 'Nacho Libre' (Jack Black)has grown up in a Mexican monastery for all his life. Now full grown, he cooks for the monastery and their orphans. His food preparations pretty much suck as they are very poor and can not afford many ingredients. Nacho dreams of bigger and better things for he and the orphans. When a new young pretty nun Sister Encarnación (Ana de la Reguera) joins the monastery he is attracted to her and knows he must find someway to please her.

Nacho has been a fan of Mexican wrestlers and wants to enter the competition in the local Lucha Libre tournament. He needs a partner and grabs his skinny Esqueleto (Héctor Jimenez) 'the Skeleton', and makes a suit of blue spandex complete with mask and a red cape. When the duo start getting paid for their performances, Nacho is able to prepare fabulous meals for the sister and the orphans. But he must lead a double life as the monastery does not agree with this sort of behavior.

Paramount Pictures
Director: Jared Hess
Writers: Mike White, Jerusha Hess, Jared Hess
Producers:David Klawans, Mike White, Jack Black
I viewed 10/06

No comments: