Thursday, April 17, 2008

Open Water (2004) R - 3½ Stars

The movie is based on the true story of two American tourists Tom and Eileen Lonergan who were left behind on a scuba diving trip off the Great Barrier Reef. Reports confirm the two either drowned or were eaten by sharks.

I really liked this film even though I have been poo pooed for it. I watched a short documentary of the movie and discovered that Laura Lau did all the filming of the movie. Also the film crew had a pretty limited budget so for what they had to work with, I think they did a good job. I'm not much of a swimmer so for me it gave me the creeps.

Susan (Blanchard Ryan) and Daniel (Daniel Travis) squeeze a vacation into their hectic lives. A scuba trip to an island reef to relax on a diving expedition. The boat takes them out but messes up the head count and leaves the two adrift in the middle of deep open water. The rest of the movie is how the couple endures being miles from land, cold and alone with shark swimming all around them.

Lions Gate Films
Director: Chris Kentis
Writer: Chris Kentis
Producer: Laura Lau
I watched 12/07

No comments: