Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Prairie Home Companion (2006) PG13 - 2½ Stars

I absolutely love Garrison Keillor (and his red tennis shoes) and I've listened to him for years on the radio while camping. Truth be told, NPR was the only station we could pick up in the canyon, but his magical voice just has such a way of telling a story I could listen for hours, and have. Most of his stories take place in Lake Wobegon and the sound effects are made by the characters. Their really quit charming.

The movie tried to give you an insight into his radio broadcast. Broadcast live from historic Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul, MN., the concept is that after 32 years, tonight would be the last show. But I must say I was disappointed. I saw him live on stage at the Hollywood Bowl with the cast from the movie and I just hope he can keep that old fashioned flare rather than turning it into a Hollywood production.

Picturehouse
Director: Robert Altman
Writer: Garrison Keillor
Producers: Robert Altman, Tony Judge, Wren Arthur
I viewed 10/06

No comments: